Catholic Faculty of Theology

Address: Vlaška 38, pp 432, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone: +385 1 4890 400
E-mail: kbf@theo.kbf.hr
Official website: www.kbf.unizg.hr

Great Chancellor of the Catholic Faculty of Theology: the Archbishop of Zagreb, Cardinal Josip Bozanić

Dean of the Catholic Faculty of Theology:  Tonči Matulić

Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb is part of the University of Zagreb since its foundation, and from the 1960s, the Faculty has four institutes for science and education: the Institute for Philosophy and Theology, Catechetical Institute, Institute for Theological Culture and the Institute for Church Music.

Zagreb theology includes a regional theology study in Rijeka. Stjepan II Babonić ,the Bishop of Zagreb, founded theology in the capital of Croatia seven and a half centuries ago, and at the very beginning of the 14th century, his successor founded the Cathedral School with departments of 'the arts' and theology with an emphasis on the study of the Scripture, as well as patristic and scholastic texts. 

After the abolition of the Jesuit Order in 1773, Empress Maria Theresa reformed Zagreb's General Study to the Royal Academy of Science with three faculties: Faculty of Philosophy, Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies and Faculty of Law. As of 1784 the Faculty of Theology functions as part of the Zagreb Seminary in Kaptol, where in 1853 Archbishop Juraj Haulik, alongside the existing theological study, founded a two-year study of philosophy.

The founder of the Croatian University in Zagreb was Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer, and the University's first rector was priest Matija Mesić, a professor of Croatian history at the Faculty of Law. 

In 1991 the Assembly of the University of Zagreb decided that the Catholic Faculty of Theology in Zagreb is a member of the University of Zagreb and ‘has been functioning as its member since the establishment of the University  until the present day.

As of 1998, the Faculty ceases to be a tenant of the Archdiocesan Seminary and functions at the new address, Vlaška ulica 38.