Seminaries

Address: Kaptol 29, 10000 Zagreb
Phone number: +385 1 4805 888
Official website: www.nbs-zg.hr
Rector of the Seminary:  Anđelko Košćak

Archdiocesan theological seminary is an educational institution for candidates to the priesthood of the Archdiocese of Zagreb and Dioceses of Varaždin and Požega, but it also enrols candidates from other dioceses.

Newly renovated building with 125 rooms for seminarians was consecrated by Cardinal Josip Bozanić on October 1, 2007. It was being renovated for two years.

In the Zagreb seminary, hundreds of candidates are preparing for the priesthood, and their education encourages the formation of a whole person, particularly in these three areas: humanity, spirituality, and intellectual dimension. Seminarians together celebrate Mass on a daily basis, have regular congregational prayers, and organize the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and prayer of the Rosary as well as other devotions.

Apart from the spiritual dimension, the seminarians are involved in various activities (choir, tamburitza orchestra, band, journalism group and missionary group), and also often organize joint meetings and excursions.

The history of Zagreb's theological seminary as an institution for teaching of the clergy dates back to the 12th century, when pursuant to provisions of the Third Lateran Council in 1179 A.D. it was decided that every cathedral should provide a foundation for one teacher who would teach the clergy and all poor students.

There is historical evidence of a cathedral school in Zagreb, found in yearbooks of bishop Augustin Kažotić, where he is mentioned as a renovator.

At that time, student accommodation was entrusted to canons since there was no institution that could accept all candidates.

But the Council of Trent introduces the canon on the formation of the clergy and establishment of seminaries so these decisions soon come to life in Zagreb, where the bishop Juraj Drašković founded the so-called Tridentine Seminary.

The theological seminary got its present-day form a few years after the 1880 earthquake. The proposal for construction of a new building was accepted by bishop Josip Hihalović and Herman Bollé was entrusted with the project.

By this renovation and construction of an annex to the building, a hospital, a hall, a new chapel and a bakery were supposed to be built. Funds for this large and expensive project were raised by the archbishop, canons, prebendaries and wealthier parish priests.

The theological seminary was affected by World War I as well. In 1914 it was converted into barracks and seminarians were temporary relocated to Kaptol 9.